Friday, August 1, 2008

Days of Change

Hey everyone,

I am sitting here in the staff computer lab at CAG (Christian Academy of Guatemala) trying to get used to all of the changes. I cannot tell you how blessed we have felt to meet so many amazing new people over the past week. We have heard stories of ministry experiences, teaching philosophies, and prayer requests. God has truly been surrounding us throughout our first days in Guatemala. Notice I said that we have met a lot of people, but I didn't speak much about the surroundings themselves. This has been the part that has frustrated/forced me to adapt the most so far. I feel a bit caged in. We are safe, it's not that I feel imminent danger around every corner, but you need to be cautious. I'm a naturally cautious person anyway, so I guess I am feeling doubly cautious. We haven't walked out in the open of our neighborhoods much. We live in a gated community, as most people do here. I miss the wide openness of Michigan. I miss being able to see great distances. You have great views here, but they are of the city surrounded by the mountains. I'm just not used to that. I also miss the country. This urban style, especially the driving is challenging for me. One of the things I ask you to pray for the most is just safety in driving, WOW, it's nuts here at times. I don't quite have the handle of just jumping into traffic and hoping that everyone slows down behind you. Also, I have never been a horn honker, and I never want to become one, but most people here feel that honking their horn helps the person in front of them to go faster. Not sure I agree with that thought. I also am amazed at how much I miss the internet at home. We have not been able to hook up at the condo just yet. Also, I still HATE cell phones. We have one now and I am baffled how anyone is able to tolerate the crazy things. Anyway, thanks for the opportunity to rattle off a few random ideas. This is good therapy. Don't get me wrong, it's been amazing so far, just different, and that is good for all of us to go through some times. God bless you all, we can feel your prayers surrounding us daily.

Love,

Aaron

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just because nobody posted yet, doesn't mean we aren't reading!

Reading and feeling the pain with you as if I were there.

Living in America is never truly appreciated until you are gone for a while, I think.

You will get the hang of it, I know you will. And God will make you safe and although there will be trouble as promised in the Word, He has already overcome it. Look to the Father today - even for when to gas it, when to break it, when to honk it!

Anonymous said...

Yes, We love you, we miss you all and are praying for you all....
As Brenda says- we may not be posting comments, but your blog gets checked out daily looking for new info and reassurance of your safety.
Keep posting.... we'll keep reading!

The VanderZwaags said...

Hey Klandermans!

Glad to hear that you made it safely and you are adjusting. Continue to pray for you guys! I know Neal misses talking football with you, Aaron! Keep posting and we'll keep praying!

The VanderZwaags