Hi Everyone,
I know, I know. It's been a while since Aaron has got his act together and had a moment to sit and add to the BLOG. We'll here's your chance to read a bit of classic Klanderman babble.
So, we are now in our second week of school here at CAG. (It's actually the third week for Amy and I, those of you who are teachers out there can attest to the fact that inservice week certainly counts!) I have been amazed at the similarities, as well as the differences between the two schools I have worked at now, Peach Plains in the States, and CAG here in Guatemala.
First let's talk about the similarities. I am so impressed with the level of dedication to the kids here. Teachers are really willing to share their time with students. There is so much interaction/relationship building. You can just see the ease and the comfort that these kids have with their teachers. It's so great to have kids come up to me, instead of me seeking them out, which I thought I might need to do. The same could be said for the staff I worked with back in the States. Teachers want to serve their kids. We are SERVANTS first and foremost. If we didn't approach this job with that attitude we would never make it, it simply wouldn't be worth it. But when servanthood is the place we are coming from first, this job is AWESOME, and REWARDING! I feel so blessed to have now been a part of two staffs that I really feel were committed to that philosophy.
The other similarity that strikes me is that kids are kids worldwide. They are silly, goofy, and wonderful. Kids lose homework here just as much as they do in the States. Kids wrestle with their self image here too. Kids love to laugh and play, and generally try to get the teacher to fall into the same wonderful trap, which often works with me. The kids have been wonderful, and I also feel blessed to have them ministering to me and my needs just as much as I feel I am doing that for them.
Smiles are the other similarity, even though I feel that they flow a lot more easily here. Don't forget that people back home. Smile at others. Greet them as they pass. Why don't we kiss each other back home? People actually stop and kiss each other every morning here. WOW! No I don't think I'm going to do that to Mr. Dean and Mr. Wiegel when I see them in the hall in the future. I think Brandon would probably punch me. (Just kidding Brandon, I know down deep you're a pacifist.) Hug someone today. I miss hugging quite a few of you.
The differences and relatively small between the two places. I still feel a little trapped here. What I mean by that is that there are fences everywhere. Here at school the grounds are large and are of excellent quality. (Cool basketball floor especially.) But we are still surrounded by a huge wall, and a gate, that is guarded.
A small difference in copyright philosophies here, Amy could explain that later. Just to let you all know, Amy and I are still big supporters of not violating copyright laws.
Prayer is the main difference. You know I cannot tell you how comfortable and at peace I feel here, because whenever there is a problem we pray. Has God answered every prayer perfectly the way I wanted it to be answered, NO, but so many times it has turned out even better than I could have imagined. We were short teachers here for a while, and we prayed. God literally brought a teacher to CAG's doorstep that afternoon. I'm not kidding. We get nervous in class, and we pray, and the student's all talk about how at ease that immediately makes them feel. Maya was nervous about dance class the other day. (They don't teach in English.) We prayed. She came home and talked about how much fun she had! I think too many times in the States we cross our fingers in some stupid ritualistic manner and HOPE that things will turn out OK. Why don't we get on our knees, and then get up and KNOW that things will turn out OK. (Again, it may not be according to our mapped out plans, but as our minister said the other week, "Where is the safest place to be?.....In God's plans.")
I miss all of you reading this back home. I hope to write a little more frequently now, especially since both my fantasy football leagues draft in the next two days, and my homework/preparation for those will lessen.
With love,
Aaron
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
How awesome for those kids to have YOU! Both you and Amy are great teachers and those kids are going to miss you soooo much when you leave. You are right-- kids are kids. Dosen't matter where in the world you are-- kids are precious, kids are our future, God puts kids in our lives not to just stress us out (LOL) - but to put life and love into perspective. Thanks both of you for being so diligent on keping us back home informed. You do not know how much that is appreciated, not just so we know what prayer mentions are needed, but just because we care and miss you.
Keep looking up!!
Hey Mr. K!
It's Amber and Sierra here! We miss you so much. We wish you could teach every class we have!
Sierra: I miss you so much i can not wait untill you come back...i got my braces off, i broke my wrist and i got my earspearsed! God bless! ~Sierra
Amber: From the looks it, your families diong well and having a lot of fun.
My family and I are doing great also. Over the summer we went to an Indian reservation in South Dakota for kind of a mission trip.
We also visited Minasota, Wiconson,(we stoped in to molly's house), Colorodo, and Iowa.
God Bless,
~Amber~
Mr. K!!! This is Schaefer!!!! I lost the sheet of paper I wrote your blog thing down on but thank goodness Sierra emailed it to me! I have'nt gotten the chance to read any of your blogs so far, besides breifly reading this one so I'll try to read as many as possible as I have sooo many questions for you and funny stories from Middle School! I miss you sooo incredibly much, you could'nt even immagine! I just wanted you to know how much I miss you and that I will being praying for you and your family every night!! I will try to read all your blogs and email you everyonce in a while to get more of an indepth update of your new life in Guatamala!! I MISS YOU,
Schaefer (tell my friend Lily I said hi!)
Post a Comment