I can't believe it has been 3 weeks since we have posted here. Forgive our busyness...here's a couple things we've experience since blogging last.
Sat., Sept. 27-Our Newcomers Club (all of us from CAG who are spending our first year here in Guatemala...Joe & Sharon Rosa, the school's director & his wife-the school's counselor--our fearless leaders; Brock & Kerrie Johnson (she is a teacher's aide in the elementary building) & their kids, Maddie, Brooke, & Jake; Heather Houskamp (2nd grade teacher); Becca Miller (4th grade teacher), & us) went to a water park called Agua Magic near the Pacific Ocean. The park, which cost only about $8 for our whole family (try that in the states!) consisted of a wave pool, 4 large waterslides, and a kiddie pool. There was one more pond...oh I mean pool...but due to its green state we did not partake. The awesome thing about the park was that after walking about 100 yards across black sand you arrived at the Pacific Ocean. Wow! It was amazing. I have never seen water move like that! The Pacific Coast of Guatemala is quite dangerous actually because the rip currents are very strong. So we held onto Lily tightly and let the kids just play in the fringes of the surf...we will never get all the black sand out of our suits! But Aaron and I went boogie boarding...literally one of those "once in a lifetime" type experiences for us Michiganders. The water just pulls at you constantly, but if you can catch the wave just right you are riding high right up onto the beach...Incredible...exhausting...worth every second. One other note worthy event which took place in the Pacific Ocean was the death of our camera. Aaron was standing with it about ankle deep in the surf when a giant wave came and soaked him to his waist, including the camera which was hanging from his wrist. Super bummer but we hope to get a new one from the states when my parents come in December. Sorry everyone who has been enjoying the picts. Lo Siento!
For the past few months we have been getting bit by something during the night. We tried many different things and it would work a little but the little biters would always come back. One day at school one of the teacher assistants was talking with Maya, and Maya was scratching one of the bites and Maya told her we were getting bit by mosquitoes during the the night. She said...those are not mosquitoes...those are bed bugs and found one of them on her leg. Ugh! So sure enough the little dark spots on our sheet were bedbugs and constant washing of the bedding helped but they were still there. The only things that kill them (usually) is cold (freezing them...not going to happen here in Guatemala) or heat (setting them out in the sun for a day during the rainy season is not very possible either) or exterminator. So yesterday morning we had the exterminator come. For less than $50 he sprayed the whole house (what a mess!) and last night was the best night sleep I've had since I've been here! Oh Happy Day! Maria Luisa (God bless that woman...she has been truly a blessing from God for us) is coming today to help me finish cleaning the insecticide off things and the exterminator comes back in 2 weeks for a final application. The adventure continues and for those of you who are just thinking...see that's why I can't go to be a missionary, that's why I'm going to stay right here doing what I'm comfortable with, I could never handle these kinds of things...You're right. We can't! But with God all things are possible...With Him to go to bed with at night and wake up with in the morning, and travel to the store with, and ride with you in the car...it is possible...not always easy...but very possible, and oh so good! Sleep has never felt so good, arriving safely has never felt so good, communicating with an exterminator who speaks Spanish is liberating when you feel you know what he is talking about and he seems to know what you are telling/asking him...Little things and all blessings from above. Where is God calling you to right now? Why are you not there? You will have trials (don't you have them right now?) but watching God at work making you grow in ways you never believed possible...priceless, folks...absolutely priceless. Just do it...whether it's talking to a neighbor, whether it's beginning a ministry at church or in your neighborhood, whether it's moving around the world to use the gifts God gave you somewhere else...just do it. And God will bless...beyond measure. Amazing...truly amazing!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks for posting...my previous comment looks tacky now...oh well! Thanks for the up dates!!! When I was reading about bugs I started itching...thanks! Glad to hear you have everything figured out and I hope they don't come back!!!!
Finally!! Wondered what happened to the blogging! Bummer about the camera- we were enjoying the pics...Please continue to be safe and we pray for you everyday here in Overisel!
Rachel, Is it better now that I erased your first comment...=) Thanks everyone for your comments. We read & cherish every one. God Bless!
Post a Comment