(Note: If you would like to see any of the pictures larger just click or double click on them and they will come up on another screen. Enjoy!)
The morning of the 19th we awoke to a light drizzle that changed into a beautiful morning by the time Gail & Aaron walked up to the restaurant for coffee. Then we started to check out the area that we really didn't get a chance to see the day before. In the tree right above our cabin we found this...(and my zoom is not exaggerating the size!)

It was like a 4 foot iguana...Caden spotted it! Amazing considering how high it was and how it blended into the trees. Saw some great warblers and butterflies too. It was incredible.

We found our first Christmas Tree of the trip...in the restaurant at the Hacienda.

Here Lily & Caden are demonstrating the way to stand in the middle of the hanging bridge and not fall the 3 feet into the swamp below. It really was a great trail but just made for nervous parents gripping their children tightly.

We then packed up and left about 10am and headed to the destination we were all anxious to get to...Tikal National Park. The 4 hour drive was divided into two sections with us stopping half way for lunch in Poptun. We were looking to buy a loaf of bread when Aaron spotted at Bimbo truck (the bread company down here). He went in to ask at the store but they didn't have any so the delivery guy sold Aaron a loaf right off the truck...Looked like Aaron was mugging the guy. But it worked and the bread was great.

We enjoyed a little park along the road which was made by the community out of old carparts. It was the first sign of recycling in Guatemala that I have seen and was pretty cool. We enjoyed our sandwiches and chips.

Then it was off to our destination and within two hours we were there...or at least we hoped we were getting close.

The sign was a welcomed sight. Even the visitor center did not prepare us for what lay ahead.

The wildlife was impressive.

Gray-necked Wood Rail

Tarantula (a guard showed us this one on the underside of a log right by the entrance to the park...we didn't see any more during our time there.

Caden caught a gecko that was trying to horn in on our sleeping quarters.

These birds are called Collared Aracaris and they were everywhere eating the berries of these trees. Certainly one of the most memorable birds of the trip.


This is a giant cedar...the picture does it no justice as to how big it was.
The light was fading quickly but the ruins were amazing as suddenly you are upon them.

This is our first view (the back side of Temple I).

We climbed on some of the ruins and the view and the sense of time there were immense.

As the sunset, the jungle began to come alive. It was a sound to behold even as the sights were almost incomprehensible.

It was an incredible afternoon in Tikal and the following day was as memorable as this was.
4 comments:
Once again- beautiful pics! I check out your blog everyday just to see the pics (o.k., to read your literature also....very good also)So glad you got another camera! Thanks Bob and Shirley!
Merry Christmas (one day late:>) Please keep those posts coming. I check for them almost every day. Loved the "spider" thing. I too am arachnaphobic (?sp). I'm even afraid of daddy long legs so a tarantula would really freak me. Your trip looks like it is awesome and beautiful.
I hope i really am on. I too check on your family almost everyday. Thank you for the pics. its like we are right there with you. Way to go Caden and help save your family ;-).4 foot long lizzards..??? 4 feet of snow is better ;-) Love in Christ
Caden-you look like you are in your glory with that gecko! I know I spelled it wrong...I've got geico on the brain after all those commercials!
Paul thinks that the ruins/pyramids look like a roller coaster. Thought I'd share that in case that's what it felt like climbing them!
Happy New Year!
Lisa
Post a Comment